Monday, November 18, 2013

A View from the Easel

by Philip A Hartigan

CHICAGO — The 50th installment of a series in which artists send in a photo and a description of their workspace. Want to take part? Submit your studio — just check out the submission guidelines.

Joan Blackwell, Pembroke, North Carolina (site)

Blackwell-640
As an Art Education major at University of North Carolina, I am always working on new art pieces. This sunflower was done at my kitchen table. This art piece was created for my neighbor, after spending hours trying to buy one, without any luck. I decided to surprise her and paint the sunflower art. There is a lot of light from the French doors in the kitchen. I enjoy looking out the windows to see flowers, birds and the green grass. I always feel inspired working here. While I do have a designated art studio, I prefer this kitchen area to work. Creating an organized, clean, pretty working environment is essential for me to produce art.

Karen Fitzgerald, Long Island City, New York (site)

KarenFitzgeraldSTUDIO-640
This is the west-facing end of my studio with my paint table under the window and my main work table next to the green rocker. I’ve been in this space for nine years. It has the most gorgeous light, east to west. I’m a morning person and I love the light as it floods in from another big window on the east side.
Luminosity plays a big part in my work as well as the process of making it. I work with gilded grounds and find myself constantly using reflected light when gilding, sealing, and working with paint washes. At 325 sq. ft., this is not the biggest studio I’ve ever had, but it feels like the most luxurious: I have a kitchenette with a granite counter, and plenty of floor, and wall space. I work on the floor frequently and have lined it with paper to keep it clean.

Aleks Slota, Berlin, Germany (site)

aleks_slota-640
My studio is located in an industrial part of east Berlin. The location is really inspiring due to the abundance of strange abandoned buildings, giant apartment blocks, and the Vietnamese warehouses down the street. The setup of the studio changes all the time. I’m predominantly a performance artist but I also work with photography, video, and sound.
In the photo you can see the lit up stage for a photo series, also a pile of fabrics, and costumes in progress. The table on the left side has drawing and painting supplies, boxes of inks, and makeup. On the shelves I have art history books and art DVDs for inspiration.

Elise Engler, Manhattan, New York City (site)

Engler-640
The studio is the 300 square foot would-be living room of my Upper Westside apartment. It is good to have a studio where I live, as I can work any time, even if it is just for a few minutes. Drawing and painting with gouache take place at the large drafting table in the center. There are baskets of hundreds of color pencils on the cart next to the table. The table is usually pushed against the corner storage rack but now it is pulled out so I can stand on a step stool and see out the window on the right.
Daily I photograph the ever-changing construction site across the street. My drawing is documentary in nature — this construction site may constitute the next project. Occasional bouts of oil painting take place on the other side of the room where there is also a 44” digital printer — it is shockingly larger than an upright piano. I am using it to print a series of books of my drawings.

Craig Rempfer, Brooklyn, New York (site)

Rempfer-640
My current studio is in my room, and it has been for about one year. Although space is limited at the moment, having a long, flat table still allows me to make drawings of moderate size. The paint brushes have been in storage for a while but I feel that due to this minor setback of space and ventilation, I’ve been able to hone in on my drawing practice that otherwise may have been shrugged off.

Richard A Jacobson, Toronto, Ont (site)

  

On of my dreams was to have my easel in view, no matter where I was in my living space so that I could at any time look over and see the current painting. I've been here now for 2 years and still fins myself marveling at how lucky I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment